Have a question, need some Higher Education information? Contact your WAEA Higher Education Division Chair.
WAEA Higher Education Division Chair: Jodi A. Patterson
Teaching since 1992, Jodi Patterson earned tenure as a k-12 teacher and now devotes her time to teaching future educators about the benefits of the Visual Arts at Eastern Washington University, where she serves as an advisor and coordinator of their Art Education program. Jodi also serves as a co-editor of a peer-reviewed journal titled “Artizein: Arts and Teaching Journal”, and is an author and an internationally exhibiting artist.
- LEARNING — NAEA goal: To develop effective leadership, teaching and advocacy for art ed.
The following is a list of Washington universities offering a degree in art education. Please contact us to add a URL to this list:
- Eastern Washington University, Cheney, WA http://www.ewu.edu/cale/programs/art/art-degrees/bae
- Heritage University, Toppenish, WA http://www.heritage.edu/VisualArts
- Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, WA http://www.plu.edu/artd/degrees/
- Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA www.wwu.edu
- Whitworth University, Spokane, WA www.whitworth.edu
- COMMUNITY — NAEA goal: To build a professional community. List ways visual art has been promoted and advocated for in your region.
- Cheney, WA – Middle school teacher, Ms. Sherry Syrie will display her student’s work in an exhibition titled “Teen Nation Creations” at Eastern Washington University’s Downtown Student Gallery. March, 2016.
- Cheney, WA – Eastern Washington University has renovated space in its Brewster Hall, 404 second Street, Cheney, for a new gallery space. The Downtown Student Gallery will feature student and faculty works, guest curated shows and other exhibitions. Jodi Patterson serves as an advisor to the Board. April, 2015.
- RESEARCH/KNOWLEDGE — NAEA goal: To assess programs/services and provide access to information on policy.
- The “International Journal of Education Through Art” has announced their new editorial executive (2017 – 2020) to be Dr. Rita Irwin from The University of British Columbia, Canada.
- Southern Illinois University (SIU) has announced they will be housing the papers of Dr. Peter London. Dr. London is Professor Emeritus at the University of Massachusetts. He is the author of books such as “No More Secondhand Art (1989) and “Drawing Closer to Nature” (2003). SIU also houses the papers of John Dewey and Buckminster Fuller. http://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1031&context=atj
- ADVOCACY — NAEA goal: To influences stakeholders and decision makers to support visual arts education.
- ORGANIZATIONAL VIBRANCY —NAEA goal: To strengthen culture, systems, structures, and resources to facilitate our mission of advancing visual arts education.
- Professor Gaye Leigh Green at Western Washington University, offers children’s books on Amazon.com titled “ What if . . . Michelangelo was a Picklemaker?” and “Cow Pies in the Night Sky”.
- Jodi Patterson (EWU) has sold over 1,500 copies of her book titled “Brave Art & Teens: A Primer for the Future High School Art Teacher.” It is available exclusively at Amazon.com (or email Jodi for an autographed copy).