Scholastic Art & Writing
Since its founding, the Awards have established an amazing track record for identifying the early promise of our nation’s most accomplished and prolific creative leaders. Alumni include artists Andy Warhol, Philip Pearlstein, Cy Twombly, Robert Indiana, Kay WalkingStick, and John Baldessari; writers Sylvia Plath, Truman Capote, Bernard Malamud, Maya Goldberg, and Joyce Carol Oates; photographer Richard Avedon (who won for poetry); actors Frances Farmer, Robert Redford, Alan Arkin, and John Lithgow; and filmmakers Stan Brakhage, Ken Burns, and Richard Linklater.
The two Washington State Scholastic Art & Writing affiliates:
Schack Art Center (Snohomish County student artists)
The Schack Art Center is proud to present The Scholastic Art Awards. This program gives thousands of students throughout America the opportunity to broaden their creative horizons while earning local and national recognition.
The objective is to foster the confidence of young artists and give them the opportunity to be recognized for their creative achievements by the world at large. The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards were founded in 1923, and have become the nation’s largest and longest running program of its kind.
To view this year’s Scholastic Art Awards for the Snohomish County Schack Art Center affiliation go to the Schack website: www.schack.org Or for the direct link: http://www.schack.org/student-awards-contests/scholastic-art-awards/2017/ and scroll down to Online Galleries and choose either American Visions, Gold Key, Silver Key or Honorable Mention.
Snohomish County ONLY via Schack Arts Center
Snohomish County Scholastic Exhibit Dates for 2017:
- Feb. 1-26, Regional Scholastic Art Portfolios Exhibit. EYA Gallery: Mon.-Fri., 10-6 pm; Sat., 10-5 pm; and Sun., 12-5 pm.
- Feb. 6-26, ALL AWARD WINNING ENTRIES Regional Scholastic Art Exhibit.Mezzanine Gallery: Mon.-Fri., 10-6 p.m.; Saturday, 10-5 p.m.; and Sun., 12-5 p.m. Exception: Wed. Feb. 8, 10-9 p.m.
- Feb. 8, 5-9 pm Regional Scholastic Art Exhibit Opening Reception to honor local student artists.
- Feb. 8, 6:30-8pm Scholastic Art Awards Ceremony will be held to honor regional and national award recipients. (Everett Civic Auditorium)
Cornish College of the Arts (Western WA region at-large student artists and writers)
AWARDS PRESENTATION AND AWARD RECIPIENTS WILL BE ON DISPLAY AT THE CORNISH PLAYHOUSE
All other Counties besides Snohomish County enter their artwork via Cornish School of the Arts
- December 16, 2016 – Deadline for submissions
- February 3, 2017 – Notification of regional awards
- Award Reception – 5PM to 7PM on Sunday, February 19th, 2017 on the first floor of the Cornish main campus. Attendees will be treated to a professionally curated art exhibit of awarded work, live readings of awarded writings, an array of refreshments, and creative activities for all.
For additional information and to make your online educator account, go to: http://www.artandwriting.org/
The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards have grown to be the nation’s longest-running, most prestigious recognition initiative and the largest source of scholarships for young artists and writers. Cornish College of the Arts is proud to partner with Scholastic Art and Writing Awards in offering this important opportunity for creative teens. Cornish College of Arts affiliate contact: Jonathan Lindsay